Greater Binghamton, New York Area
Get to Know the Greater Binghamton Area of New York!
Binghamton, known as The Parlor City, is a city located in the Southern Tier of New York in the United States. The "Home of the Square Deal," is the county seat of Broome County and the principal city and cultural center of the Greater Binghamton region. The population of the city, according to the 2000 census, is 47,380.
The City of Binghamton is located at the confluence
of the Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers. The city
is at the crossroads of Interstates 81 and 88, as well
as New York State Route 17 (also known as The
Southern Tier Expressway and the future Interstate 86).
The Binghamton Metropolitan Area includes approximately 252,000 residents in all of Broome and Tioga (NY) counties. Binghamton is part of the "Triple Cities," along with Endicott and Johnson City (which are actually villages). The region is collectively referred to as Greater Binghamton Area.
Greater Binghamton is home to SUNY, Binghamton University, a driving force in the community as an academic, athletic, and arts center. The region is also recognized as the birthplace of the IBM corporation (in nearby Endicott), Dick's Sporting Goods and the Raymond Corporation. Binghamton has the world's largest collection of functioning antique carousels, has the largest public observatory in the northeastern United States, was for nearly the entire first half of the twentieth century a significant hub of American footwear production as the home of Endicott-
In 2007, Binghamton was named the 9th greenest city in the U.S. by Country Home magazine.
In 2007, Binghamton was also named the "Pierogi Capital" of the World" through a grassroots campaign and Mrs. T's Pierogies. Greater Binghamton also has the long-standing distinction of being the "Carousel Capital" of the world, because of its incredible antique carousel collection donated by local businessman George F. Johnson, between 1919 and 1934.
By clicking on the below link(s) you will be able to gain valuable information on specific cities in our community:
- WELCOME TO GREATER BINGHAMTON
Economic development in the Greater Binghamton Area
- Broome County's Official Web Site
- Broome County Quick Facts
- GOLF COURSES IN BROOME COUNTY
- About the Area
- Discover Binghamton
- Tioga County
- Village of Owego
- Washington Street Art Walk
- GREAT STUFF TO DO IN THE BINGHAMTON AREA
- Want to Know the Taxes?
- STAR Tax Exemption
- Get to Know Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania
- Discover the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania
- Press-Sun Bulletin local newspaper
- WICZ-TV Binghamton FOX 40
- New York Visitors Network
- Town of Owego
- Nationwide community information
- New York Bed and Breakfasts
- Historic Homes in Binghamton
- Broomes County's Historic Carousels
- Kopernick Observatory, Vestal, NY
- Welcome to Cortland County
- Welcome to Binghamton, NY
- Welcome to Chenango County